The EMLex offers a diverse spectrum of teachers & lecturers from around the globe. This course will be held by:
University of Santiago de Compostela
Université de Lorraine
This advanced module offers different approaches to the fields of translation and lexicography. Participants will acquire comprehensive knowledge on the task of translation when developing and using dictionaries, an overview of dictionary typologies, translation-related strategies and techniques for producing lexicographical works, and problematic cases and proposed solutions in the production and use of online lexicographical works, as well as of printed dictionaries. Participants will deal with application-oriented questions through workshops and research activities. Topics to be treated in this module include:
- Differences between monolingual and multilingual dictionaries
- types of dictionaries in the context of translation
- the role of translation in the development of dictionaries
- translation and use of the dictionary
- Translation and back-translation: Translation strategies and techniques
- Problems of monolingual and bilingual dictionaries
- Creation: the lexicographer in focus
- Use: the user in focus
- Bilingual dictionaries for lay users, semi-experts and experts
- Dictionaries in education: school, university and professional practice
- Specialized and technical dictionaries
- Bilingual dictionaries with special emphasis on the dictionaries compiled in the languages of instruction
- Requirements for bilingual lexicography
Please see the module description for further information.
- Prof. Dr. Dorothy Kenny (Dublin City University)
- Prof. Dr. Alberto Simões (2Ai – School of Technology, IPCA, Barcelos, Portugal): Exploiting Parallel Corpora for Bilingual Terminology
|Teaching language||German and English|
Information on the EMLex 2021 Summer school:
Practical arrangements: Participants will receive an e-mail in advance that includes a seminar plan, the pertinent bibliography, online exercises and information on the topics for the oral presentations. In preparation for the term paper, a discussion with the corresponding teacher is recommended (instructions will be given here).
Certificate: There are two alternatives to get an EMLex 2021 summer school certificate – (a) without grade: active participation in discussions and submission of online exercises and (b) with grade: submission of online exercises and a short assignment (10-15 pages).
There will be certain online activities with both teachers before the courses start. Students and summer school participants will be informed in advance.